Tuesday, December 9, 2008

AC remote controllers

We were down to our last remote controller. Out of six. In fact all original six had died; that last one surviving had come with a recent replacement of one of the blower units.

I am referring to remote control units of airconditioners that were installed in our apartment about fifteen years ago.

The ‘remotes’ started conking off around year ten when two went off together. Then they went at the rate of one a year for four years. Then last year the fifth one took the hall’s blower unit with it. We replaced the blower which came with a remote. Luckily for us, the replacement blower unit (and remote) was compatible with the rest of the system. Finally, the last of the original six went last week.

Called Toshiba etc. Was told aircon not handled by them for over ten years.

Fortunately they gave me the contact Toshiba Aircondioning or something (it’s in the phone book). Called them and was informed the remote I wanted has been out of production for over a decade! Wah, your aircon very old one ah!

Then how? Thought they’d try to persuade me to replace my whole system. But they didn’t. Instead Esther very helpfully told me to go check up with their retailers and gave me three telephone numbers, heng ah!

Called first one. That one no more, uncle. But will source and call me back, how many I want? I said Two, but must see price first. Will call you back.

Called the last number, gave model number, and a Cantonese voice woman said “Have. Is it the one with a pink coloured on-off button?’ I confirmed. “How many do you want? Two? got them. $40 each.” Must go get a few quickly; they were $175 five years ago, when I had to buy one.

Went to the address she gave me. Couldnt find address, called her, she said go round the building.

The Canto speaking woman was an attractive one in her late thirties, with stylish cut tinted hair and she speaks English but prefers dialect. The shop / workshop / junkshop / hoarding place was filled floor to ceiling with all parts of aircons.

Decided to take three whereupon she said total is $110, I give you $10 discount. She gave fresh batteries and tested all three remotes.

Renny that’s her name informed that she has stock of the remote if I need more. That it’s compatible with yet another blower unit. And that my old blower units’ pc are quite rare ie the printed circuit boards or pcb’s.

Can you recommend a good aircon service contractor? And she gave me a name, Bok Seng, 97859497, a Malaysian, good one.

So if you guys need a ‘remote’ or two, or even a blower unit, or I daresay any other part of an aircon, give Renny a call at 6744 5995 or 6748 9218. Her workplace is Joseph Loh Enterprise, Blk 3014 Ubi Road 1 #01-318, Singapore 408702.

Don’t pay more unnecessarily for remotes or a new system.

While leaving Renny's shop, head her talking to her hubby in Canto: Wah! This model remote still quite popular; earlier today sold two already.

3 comments:

True Blue said...

Wahhhh....very good info leh.
I also have problems with ACs every now and then......leaking, not cold etc etc.
Thanks for the tip KY.

GEMS by FREDOS said...

thanks KY - my remote konk out.

GEMS by FREDOS said...

will call for bok seng when my current lousy ac contract ends.many thanks for the tip KY