Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Roving Eye

 

 

Oh how I love Wednesdays. That’s the day of the week when I can go to ChinaTown for my Makan (today was lunch with Geylang Boys at Tai Seng)and Foot Reflexology. I usually travel there by bus and was fortunate enough to catch No 2 which goes to China Town via Geylang.

Bus No 2 is normally a double decker and I enjoy sitting by the window watching what’s going on at street level. I was particularly surprised today when passing the lorongs to see that the Chinese female population seems to have deserted the whole area. The normal hustle and bustle was no longer evident and no one was “harrassing” the Ah Peks. All were quiet……..the five foot ways, coffee shops, makan stalls  were devoid of the usual activities….no one seems to be hanging out anymore. Is it “recession”?? H1N1 ?? or something more sinister?? will have to investigate …..

But among the newly opened shops in Geylang, I noticed an increased number of New Internet Cafes touting 24/7 at $3 per hour…..but alas they too were empty.

Going further,  while passing our former Kallang Gasworks…..it is now some kind of a nursery for new young trees. There were rows and rows of trees planted side by side. What a waste of prime space!

 

No comments: