Saturday, February 28, 2009

Kombucha

 

After reading KY’s take on Kombucha 2 weeks ago, I decided to “Google it”. The amount of available information was to say the least, astonishing. It ranged from being able to “cure” a multitude of ailments to DIYs. But what caught my interest was that this concoction is not a new thing…..but several thousand years old originating from China and widely used in Japan, Europe to Russia.

As Kee Yan’s brother Thomas is very knowledgeable on Kombucha, I visited him on 20 Feb and got precise info on how to make it. He also gave me a “Scoby” to help ferment the brew. A secondary product from the brew is a small amount of accompanying alcohol due to the process. 

I made the first batch on 20 Feb and harvested it on 26 Feb. In the meantime I was also drinking one half cup every morning from the bottle which Thomas gave me.I do not know whether it was coincidental or otherwise, after one week my “trigger finger” was straightened.  My wife is also starting to take it now.

I enclose some pics from my first harvest.

P1000305 P1000289 P1000290 P1000291 P1000303 P1000304

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The 'aroma' was also...astonishing. Pls stop polluting the home, hahha. Thank you. - Joy